[SunRay-Users] Fwd: [pca] SunRay (x86) patches don't show if not installed

Stuart F. Biggar Stuart.Biggar at optics.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 29 19:52:35 EEST 2011

SunRay gurus,

I'm in the process of attempting to bring up SunRay server on
a Sun x4150.  The machine is now running Solaris 10 Update
9.  I've been using a script called pca to do patching on SPARC
and x86 Solaris for years.  I used pca to update all the patches
on Solaris.  I then installed SunRay 5.1.  I then ran pca again to
see if there were patches for it.  (that works on an old SPARC
SunRay installation of 3.1).  pca didn't list any patches.  However,
I found out that there were patches but only by downloading
a 5.1.2 through MOS.  Funny that the current 5.1.2 SunRay
on x86 patches aren't listed in the patchdiag.xref that Oracle
provides.

For those not familiar with pca (for Solaris), see:

http://www.par.univie.ac.at/solaris/pca/intro.html

A very nice utility that Sun used to recommend.  I also found it to
work when various Sun provided patching tools didn't do a very
good job.

I'm not sure why Oracle doesn't offer SunRay patches through
the old way (6-2 patchid as below) as it makes it easier for
those of us who are part time sysadmins trying to keep systems
up-to-date (and paying for the support agreements to do so).

PCA will ask about a MOS user's support levels:

[x4150 : /export/x4150/patch : 2 ] ./pca --supplevel
Determining MOS Support Levels

SW: Existing Oracle software and Sun middleware
OS: Solaris patches and updates
PUB: Oracle Open Office/StarOffice and patch utilities
FMW: Firmware, drivers, bios, system controller software, ALOM/ILOM, diagnostics

Thanks,

Stuart

Begin forwarded message: