[SunRay-Users] .softwareupdate in Kiosk user's homedir

Craig Bender Craig.Bender at Oracle.com
Thu Mar 24 20:34:18 EET 2011

Do you recall that one of the changes from CAM to Kiosk was now that
Kiosk would source the startup files?  If you think back to the days of
CAM, this is a good thing.

What's creating this .softwareupdate directory in you kiosk users
homedir is the Solaris software updater.  It tries to run for all
sessions but exit if you are not root.

This process, the subdirectory and the files in /tmp are harmless.  If
you don't want to see them, you can either delete
/usr/dt/config/Xsession.d/1001.swupnot

Or you can edit that file and put an if they to detect for kiosk mode
using kioskstatus -q.  The latter may get clobbered by patches most
likely and the former means if you wanted to run the software updater,
you'd just have to remember to kick it off by hand (and may also
reappear with patches.