[SunRay-Users] SunRay Citrix ICA Client Video and Audio Performance

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Mon Mar 21 16:13:58 EET 2011

Aaron,
      We used to use Citrix XenApp server to deliver whole Windows
desktop to the Sun Rays.  We dropped that last year in favor of Sun Ray
connector.  In our testing the Sun Ray connector performed better
graphic and multi-media wise.  Plus it's a big saving not having to
purchase all those Citrix licenses.  Now there are couple of big loses
in dropping Citrix.  Cirtrix load balancing is better, but so far the
Microsoft load balancing is working for us.  Next big lose was USB
redirection.  The Sun Ray connect doesn't suport USB redirection in
Window 2008 or up. That is of SRSS 4.2 which we are running.  Maybe some
can comment whether USB redirection is working in the latest release of
SRSS?

     The other fact with Citrix, is that it has to run a whole bunch of
other crap processes with takes away resources from each of  your
terminal servers, and ultimately the number of users you can put on each
server.  With Sun Ray connector there are no other extra processes
running on your terminal servers.

C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.keist at colostate.edu
Systems Group Manager           Solaris 10 OS (SAI)
Engineering Network Services    Phone: 970-491-0630
College of Engineering, CSU     Fax:   970-491-5569
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'