[SunRay-Users] GDM 2.20 on Ubuntu Lucid: Change language

Juergen Lennefer sunray-users_j at lennefer.de
Fri Mar 18 20:03:36 EET 2011

Hello,

I'm reading here quite a long time. As I was running SRSS on an small
OpenSolaris Server before I decided to install SRSS later on Linux.

Now I'm quite ready (since some days), running a Ubuntu 10.04 Server LTS
with native ZFS and SRS 5.1.1, serving 2 SunRay 2i at home (one
additional SunRay 170 planed).

I'm still fighting with some issues, were I didn't find any hint here.

First is the gdm stuff. I downgraded gdm to 2.20.10 as suggested in the
Wiki. And this worked out of the box.

As my wife shouldt/will also work with the SunRay I need GDM/Gnome to
setup to German locale. I'm running KDE4, which may stay to English,
doesn't matter.

The GDM greeter does not allow to change the language despite the
choices "Last Language" and "System Default". I don't want to change the
system default. So how to switch to German?

All locale packages for Gnome are installed, but no success.

# cat /etc/default/locale
LANG="de_DE.utf8"
LANGUAGE="de:de_AT:de_BE:de_CH:de_DE:de_LI:de_LU:en"

# cat ~vera/.dmrc
[Desktop]
Session=gnome
Language=de_DE.UTF-8

vera at svr:~$ locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=de_DE:de:de_AT:de_BE:de_CH:de_LI:de_LU:en
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=C

I tried many hints found with Google, nothing helped.

Any hints?

Best Regards,
Juergen

--
++ Juergen Lennefer -- 51515 Kuerten -- Germany ++
++ ICQ 179431254 ++