[SunRay-Users] Accessing Linux (TS-style) Desktops from a current VDI environment

Craig Bender Craig.Bender at Oracle.com
Fri Mar 18 18:51:40 EET 2011

Hi guys,

One everything you are talking about is totally doable, and supported.

How to do it out of the box is a different question.  And to some extent
the documentation is lacking.  I've tried to address that in the kiosk
SDK, but I am guessing that we could use some more examples.  So be sure
to bookmark the site:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/DVDEV/Sun+Ray+Kiosk+SDK

Note that the URL will be changing to an Oracle domain very soon, but
I'll make sure everyone knows the new one when that happens.

There's very little that can't be done with a combination of Kiosk and,
if need be, AMGH to route to other hosts or platform types.

The kiosk framework is so flexible and powerful, yet is presented as so
simple that it appears locked into the way most people are accustomed to
using it.

 From a support standpoint, the framework is 100% absolutely, positively
supported.  The only thing we can't support is your actual custom script
or 3rd party applications that script calls.  That's fair right? Because
let's face it, some of us get pretty crazy (and I'm pointing a huge
finger at myself) when writing scripts.  But I have taken the time to
try to point out some best practices and pitfalls to avoid in the SDK.

Let's take Williams wish and an example.  Most would think that the
ability to have both regular and kiosk session from the same policy
(card or non-card) is not possible by looking at the admin gui.  Some
who have investigated utkioskoverride would think it's possible, but not
possible without administrator intervention.

So as kiosk user, how could one switch a token from that of kiosk
session to that of regular session? Not the JDS kiosk session, I mean a
full blown Solaris or Linux session.

Impossible right?  You'd have to call an administrator because both the
admin gui and utkioskoverride require root. So impossible.

It's totally possible.  Let's say you had a Zenity app that asked users
what they want to run.  They picked regular session.  This script dumped
information about their token into a file (or a file that was just their
token name) and then exited the session.

Possibly the most powerful feature in Kiosk Mode that is often
overlooked and rarely understood KIOSK_SESSION_PRE and
KIOSK_SESSION_POST capabilities.

These scripts execute *as root*.  So while your Zenity app runs as the
kiosk user and they can't do an override, the KIOSK_SESSION_POST script
can process the file that the kiosk user created it can run a kiosk
override command as root.  When that session cycles you have a Regular
session.  Same thing can be done, but with slightly different method for
various kiosk session types as the alternate kiosk session
configurations would have to exist.  But the end result and using the
Kiosk pre and post features would be used in the same manner.  One could
even have the kiosk post script, since it runs as root, create the
alternate session configuration on the fly if it didn't exist, then do
the kiosk override.