[SunRay-Users] Accessing Linux (TS-style) Desktops from a current VDI environment

Daniel Cifuentes daniel.cifuentes at oracle.com
Fri Mar 18 16:14:49 EET 2011

Jonathan,

You seem to be a candidate for AMGH. This would allow your Sun Ray with
a card to redirect to the VDI server and then return to the OEL server
on pull.

I have your setup in reverse, documented here, though over simplistic.

http://blogs.sun.com/danielc/entry/a_simple_regional_hotdesking_setup

There are other things you can do, but you start getting away from
supportability. Have a look at this for fun ;)
http://blogs.sun.com/danielc/entry/meta_kiosk_how_to_run

HTH,

Daniel.

On 19/03/2011 1:04 AM, Jonathan C. Bailey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're currently running both a VDI 3.2 environment (on Solaris x86) for our VDI clients, and a plain SRSS 5.1 server on OEL 5 for kiosks/Linux desktops. Currently, both of these systems are separate (different configs served to the DTUs, etc). Also, we are using the normal GDM login and not kiosk mode on the OEL 5/kiosk server.
>
> I'm looking at a way to better integrate these systems so that a VDI user can sit down at one of the plain kiosk terminals, insert their card, and get their VDI desktop. I've been trying to think of a way to make this happen, but can't come up with anything I like while keeping things completely separate. OVDC doesn't seem to install on OEL5, SGD isn't an option since not all VDI users have access and we use 2 factor auth for it. I also can't figure out a way to get the normal VDI client (connecting to the existing DB cluster) to run under Linux (I figured that would be a long shot, but a nice solution if it worked).
>
> Another possible solution would be a kiosk session definition on the VDI side of things that would connect users to the OEL 5 server (all of the DTUs would connect only to the VDI environment). The only thing with that option is connectivity to the kiosk server - VNC, XDMCP, or something else?
>
> Has anyone implemented something similar and could offer some insight on this?
>

> -Jon

<http://www.oracle.com> 	*Daniel Cifuentes*
ANZ Desktop Virtualisation Sales Consulting Lead

*Oracle Corporation Australia*
4 Julius Av.
North Ryde NSW 2113
Phone: +61 2 9491 2109
Mobile: +61 414 246 582

Email: daniel.cifuentes at oracle.com
Blog: http://blogs.sun.com/danielc

*This email sent from an Oracle VDI delivered desktop. How Virtual is
your desktop?
<http://blogs.sun.com/danielc/entry/how_virtual_is_your_desktop>*