[SunRay-Users] Accessing Linux (TS-style) Desktops from a current VDI environment

Jonathan C. Bailey jbailey at co.marshall.ia.us
Fri Mar 18 16:04:17 EET 2011

Hello,

We're currently running both a VDI 3.2 environment (on Solaris x86) for our VDI clients, and a plain SRSS 5.1 server on OEL 5 for kiosks/Linux desktops. Currently, both of these systems are separate (different configs served to the DTUs, etc). Also, we are using the normal GDM login and not kiosk mode on the OEL 5/kiosk server.

I'm looking at a way to better integrate these systems so that a VDI user can sit down at one of the plain kiosk terminals, insert their card, and get their VDI desktop. I've been trying to think of a way to make this happen, but can't come up with anything I like while keeping things completely separate. OVDC doesn't seem to install on OEL5, SGD isn't an option since not all VDI users have access and we use 2 factor auth for it. I also can't figure out a way to get the normal VDI client (connecting to the existing DB cluster) to run under Linux (I figured that would be a long shot, but a nice solution if it worked).

Another possible solution would be a kiosk session definition on the VDI side of things that would connect users to the OEL 5 server (all of the DTUs would connect only to the VDI environment). The only thing with that option is connectivity to the kiosk server - VNC, XDMCP, or something else?

Has anyone implemented something similar and could offer some insight on this?

-Jon