[SunRay-Users] VDA licenses hurting VDI

Craig Bender Craig.Bender at Oracle.com
Fri Mar 18 03:38:18 EET 2011

Hi Ivar,

I'm relaxed.  Nothing but happy thoughts over here.  ;)

The EULA is not pushing Hyper-V.  RemoteFX requires Hyper-V , so I guess
that would be a no to your Virtualbox question.

I'm not sure I get the correlation between WVDA and RemoteFX and
roadmaps though.  There's zero tie in between licensing the RemoteFX
spec from Microsoft and not having to pay the WVDA.  That's only
possible by running Windows 7.  But you do have to pay SA.

Since the price of SA is going to be determined by what your licensing
agreement is with MS (those who buy more copies of Win7 will get lower
SA prices), WVDA actually favors smaller companies because the delta
between the yearly SA cost and the full yearly WVDA license will be
less.  IMO this is intentional.  The biggest MS customers who may be
interested in VDI on non-Windows 7 devices will see such a huge
difference between SA and WVDA, they'll either not do VDI, or if they
still really believe in it, they'll buy Win 7 SA capable device.
Win/Win for MS.

I do wonder how many Citrix customers run the XD VMs on Hyper-V?  I'd
guess not many.  Citrix wants you to run on XenServer, Citrix customers
seem to want to run on Vmware.  Citrix doesn't sell client devices, but
they do want to keep MS happy so XenApp can continue to be an upgrade to
WTS/RDS.

What you have left is companies that do not have protocols (RGS doesn't
count), though they do sell (or want to sell) a lot of PCs (Wyse Cloud
PCs are Windows 7 SA capable PCs).  No big surprises on that list who
have signed up.  Where is Vmware?

I've tried to illustrate why MS does not like VDI and why they like
Windows on PCs.  Remember the stats I shared on the thin client market
on whole compared to the PC market on whole.  They want they bigger
piece of the pie, and they want keep it as big a possible.

Here is Brian Madden's take on the subject:

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/brianmadden/archive/2011/03/02/why-microsoft-hates-vdi.aspx