[SunRay-Users] VDA licenses hurting VDI

Ivar Janmaat ijanmaat at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 18 02:28:16 EET 2011

Hello Guys,

Please relax!
I thought I had chosen my subject carefully.

Microsoft is delaying VDI by charging excessively on the VDA licenses.
They argue that you should pay extra for the flexibility of VDA licenses.
In my opion this is crap. An OEM license is much cheaper.
One could also argue that Microsoft should charge less for VDA than OEM
licenses since most of the time my VM pool has a lot less running
Windows instances than there are Sun Rays.
So this is all strategic thinking of Microsoft until they can come up
with some thing else to make money.

Now Remote FX is evolving and Microsoft might have the new money maker
it waited for.
My guess is that Oracles new features probably will need to use Remote FX.
So that is why I asked for an update on VDA licensing.
The whole idea seems to be that Citrix will use Remote FX and expand
that with HDX for WAN.
HDX is of course ugly because it needs players and codecs on the client.
ALP would be a much cleaner implemention with Remote FX.

However I also see some problems.
Microsoft is also pushing Hyper-V and I am not sure if the Microsoft
EULA will allow Remote FX on say Virtualbox.
I don't see Oracle as OEM Remote FX partner on the Microsoft website.
There seems to be a Remote FX chip design...Sun Ray 4 feature?
Wyse, Dell, HP, Citrix are all mentioned as OEM partners.
This would indicate that there might be OEM licensing model involved.

It appears as if Oracle is not joining fully so that does worry me...
That's why I also asked for an update.
But since it is hard for Oracle people to speak about roadmaps I was not
very specific.
This might have left some room for misinterpretation.
I am sorry about that...

Kind regards,

Ivar

Kind regards,