[SunRay-Users] Upgrade to SRSS 5.1 / VDI 3.2.2 resulted in 100% outage

Mika A mika at kyamk.fi
Wed Mar 2 19:42:46 EET 2011

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Craig Bender wrote:

> Were the release notes followed?  I understand that most of us hate to RTFM,
> but the more critical a system becomes, the more planning is required.

Ok, this is what I followed:
http://wikis.sun.com/display/VDI3dot2/About+Updating+to+Oracle+Virtual+Desktop+Infrastructure+3.2.2

And it says absolutely nothing about running anything other than
vda-preserve and vda-config.

> Note that this (uttscadm) is fixed in the next release with new "unified"
> installer.  Although..uttscadm was automated in the first few releases, I'm

Anyway, that was not the problem. Well, it apparently became a problem
when I ran "uttsadm -r" but now that I ran "uttscadm -c -g srwcgrp" those
srds access denied errors went away and I started getting uttsc syntax
errors in the log again. So apparently that "SRDS access denied"-problem
prevented the uttsc from actually running but now that's gone and the
original problem re-surfaced.

SO, any other ideas? Current situation:

- NOT bypassing Desktop Login works, after "logging in" with a username
(no password needed, username can be anything, I guess this is because it
is not really forwarded/used anywhere) brings me the desktop the DTU is
assigned to
- Bypassing the Desktop Login and trying to go directly to the desktop
causes uttsc syntax error messages in /var/opt/SUNWut/log/messages and
DTUs keep recycling going nowhere

> Do you know how to enable debug on the SRWC side of things?  It helps quite a
> bit to put Kiosk Mode in debug.

Nope, not really..

> I'm putting one together a troubleshooting course for our new support people.
> Would there be any interest in a webcast on the subject?

Yes, definitely!

.mika

PS. Sadly, a third blackout day went by with ZERO communication from
Oracle Support, for which we pay quite dearly...

> On 3/2/11 8:18 AM, Jussi Sallinen wrote:
>> Hmm, how about ZFS snapshot before upgrading next time? :-)
>> If the host is running on ZFS that is.
>> --
>> -Jussi Sallinen
>>   +358407007600
>>   jussi at jus.si
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 01:20:27PM +0200, Mika A wrote:
>>> PS. As a sidenote, regarding the system as a whole, I am once again amazed
>>> how
>>> fragile the thing is. We have a fully supported VDI system to which I did
>>> an
>>> upgrade following the Update Installation document and the end result was
>>> total blackout for users, which has now lasted for two days.. These things
>>> can
>>> happen but these happen way too often and they last for WAY too long..

.mika