[SunRay-Users] SRSS pricing?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Mar 1 06:41:53 EET 2011

On 2/28/11 9:45 PM, William Yang wrote:
>> Sun even tried to steal a page out of Apple's 1980 playbook by seeding
>> schools with Sun Rays.  A 1980's kid had most likely never seen a
>> computer. Pac-Man wasn't even out until 1980.  The Apple could have been
>> complete crap and it still would have succeeded.  A 1999 kid had Windows
>> 95, 98, ME, and XP beta.  They had Nintendo 64, Sony Playstation, Sega
>> Dreamcast.  To think that you'd gain mind share and adoption from these
>> kids by sitting them down in front of Solaris 7 and CDE is as likely as
>> the orginial Star Trek (special effects and all) warmly received 20
>> years after Star Wars was released.
>
> Gosh...CDE....  I can see that not really working.  Though I do have to say,
> from personal experience, Solaris 10 and JDS (after significant local
> customizations to the OS in general) was very successful in gaining student
> mind share (we had students referring to the Sun Rays as "the cool Sun
> computers").

   What local customizations, anything "general" and appropriate for
sharing with the group?

> One person even told me she was thinking about getting one for
> home before I explained a bit more about why that might not quite work.

   Hmm?  Sun Rays, or Sun computers in general?  I've been running Sun
Rays at home since 2001, and Sun computers at home since the Sun-2 days.
(meaning the Motorola 68010-based Sun-2/120 and Sun-2/170, not
SPARCstation-2!)  This isn't at all unusual; I have lots of friends and
colleagues doing both.

> The
> thing with schools is that it's all about the overall user experience and
> not what it's running on.  It has to look good, run fast, and make it easy
> for people to get their business done.

   I think these are perfectly reasonable requirements.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL