[SunRay-Users] SRSS pricing?

Craig Bender Craig.Bender at oracle.com
Tue Mar 1 04:17:07 EET 2011

Sun did a lot of things wrong.  Far more than you know.  You could
actually make a movie, at a least a very interesting book about how the
Sun Ray came to be.  It would put the Facebook movie to shame.

While Sun was busy sucking the life out Larry Ellisons 1995 NC concept
by trying to make Java an operating system, the smart folks at Sun Labs
saw the disconnect between the NC vision and the device Sun was trying
to build.  They started secretly building their version of Larry's vision.

Did you know Sun Ray was prototyped and working before the first public
JavaStation shipped?  And some of the people that did it are *still*
with the product?

Did you know the first patent with the words "Virtual Desktop
Architecture" in it is owned by Sun/Oracle as a result of the Sun Ray?
I guess that concept was just too far out there.  So the marketing
message was "Dot.Com Your Workgroup".  WTH does that mean?

Sun was still trying to make the JavaStation work even after the Sun Ray
release.  Pretty confusing for everyone, including the press. Here's
Forbes.com leak a month before the release.  Note the mention of a Java
OS.  Note how they spelled out DHCP.
http://www.forbes.com/1999/08/03/mu11.html

My belief is Java is why the JavaStation failed.  3 years late.  Full of
bad press. Yet Sun would never bad mouth it or take blame for the NC
vision dying.  Why?  Java.  A technology that made other people
billions, but Sun could never monetize.

Do you like Open Office?  Thank Sun Ray.  StarDivision was bought for
exclusively for the Sun Ray.  Although the popular story that it was
bought because McNealy refused to buy everyone a copy of MS Office.
McNealy did make a huge mistake though, in his war with Redmond he made
it free for every device.  Kind of loses the carrot effect that had been
planned for it.

Too many egos and mixed messages resulted in Sun not knowing what they
had.  There were internal wars.  Schwartz hated it because he wanted to
talk about attracting developers and the press wanted to ask him about
Sun Rays.

Sun even tried to steal a page out of Apple's 1980 playbook by seeding
schools with Sun Rays.  A 1980's kid had most likely never seen a
computer. Pac-Man wasn't even out until 1980.  The Apple could have been
complete crap and it still would have succeeded.  A 1999 kid had Windows
95, 98, ME, and XP beta.  They had Nintendo 64, Sony Playstation, Sega
Dreamcast.  To think that you'd gain mind share and adoption from these
kids by sitting them down in front of Solaris 7 and CDE is as likely as
the orginial Star Trek (special effects and all) warmly received 20
years after Star Wars was released.

And there's a lot more.  Told you it was interesting.  It's still the
best idea Sun ever had.