[SunRay-Users] SRSS pricing?

Ivar Janmaat ijanmaat at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 1 03:00:30 EET 2011

Hello Craig,

I really agree with yours statement below.

Craig Bender schreef:
> These companies think they can be the next Dell, the Cloud Dell so to
> speak.  However their model is the very thing that is actually holding
> the thin client market back from really gaining "mind share".  Dell
> knows exactly what a cloud PC is and they can do it cheaper than these
> companies.

However Sun also did not market the Sun Ray very well.
They basically fell into this trap because of the way they sold it.
If we compare the Sun Ray with a coach/touringcar again.
And a PC / Thin client with a car.
Then I would say that the Sun Ray sales people were selling the coaches
through car dealers.
Somehow they thought that the customers of car dealers would buy coaches.
My experience was that a lot of coaches came back because they were to
hard to drive for someone with only a car drivers license.
So car dealers did not like to sell the coaches anymore.

On the other hand you had the Sun Sales people who were selling the
ticket systems at Greyhound and other large touringcar operators.
But they were not payed to sell Sun Rays and they heard about what
happened at the car dealers so they stayed far away from the Sun Ray.
In my opinion they should have been the drivers of the Sun Ray sales.

If Sun would have focussed on the Touringcar operators, I am convinced
it would have been another ballgame.
But I think nothing is lost yet. The current touringcar operators are
the Saas providers. And there can still be a lot to gain.
Since I believe the Sun ray is the only solution which can handle the
requirements of a SAAS provider easily.
This would also mean that ICA, PCOIP and other protocols available at
SAAS providers should be on the SRSS roadmap. ;-)

Kind regards,

Ivar