[SunRay-Users] SRSS 4.2 vs flash (with Flash...)

Andreas v. Heydwolff listmail at sandpsych.at
Tue Mar 30 16:08:50 EEST 2010

Matthew C. Aycock wrote:

> On 03/29/10 14:58, Magnus Varmfors wrote:
>> 2010/3/29 Matthew C. Aycock<matt at mathcs.emory.edu>:
>>> Does anyone know of a non-smurf flash player 10 for linux (ubuntu
>>> 9.10)? If
>>> not, does anyone know of a working flash 9 player that works with sound
>>> under 9.10?

Hi Matthew,

this is my setup, not with 64bit but 32bit, however, I assume it could
work with your setup as well (dunno about 32bit Flash 9 on 64bit, but if
you can solve this then it should work). The following passages are from
my so far private work-in-progress How-To for Debian Squeeze. I am
posting all audio setup parts, the git stuff you may need most is at the
bottom.

Greetings,

Andreas Heydwolff

####################

Download kernel module patches and compile modules
The ones right at the bottom of this page worked for me with a 2.6.30
stock Debian kernel:
(http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/SRSS-4.1-50_on_Linux-2.6.18_.._-2.6.28-rc6-git1)

# wget -O /tmp/utadem.patch
http://wiki.sun-rays.org/images/e/e8/Utadem.MR20090816.patch.txt
# wget -O /tmp/utio.patch
http://wiki.sun-rays.org/images/1/11/Utio.MR20090816.patch.txt
# wget -O /tmp/utdisk.patch
http://wiki.sun-rays.org/images/2/2a/Utdisk.MR20090816.patch.txt

# m-a -t prepare
# cd /usr/src/SUNWut
# patch -p0 </tmp/utadem.patch
# patch -p0 </tmp/utio.patch
# patch -p0 </tmp/utdisk.patch

If you like, copy and paste, make executable and run my little script
„sunray-modcompile“: It may prove useful again later after kernel upgrades.

---- sunray-modcompile script ----
#!/bin/bash
echo compiling modules for SunRay server...
echo ;
make -C /usr/src/SUNWut/utadem clean default install;
make -C /usr/src/SUNWut/utio clean default install;
make -C /usr/src/SUNWut/utdisk clean default install;
depmod -a
echo modprobe...
modprobe -r utadem
modprobe -r utdisk
modprobe -r utio
modprobe utadem
modprobe utdisk
modprobe utio
echo ;
echo done!
echo ;
------ EOF -------------------------------

# sunray-modcompile

Pulseaudio setup

- install packages

# aptitude install pavucontrol pavumeter paman padevchooser paprefs
pulseaudio \
  pulseaudio-utils pulseaudio-module-gconf  pulseaudio-module-hal \
  pulseaudio-module-x11 libasound2-plugins gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio \
  pulseaudio-esound-compat alsaplayer-alsa

- create a global 'utpulse.pa' file in /opt/SUNWut/lib with the
following content

# vi /opt/SUNWut/lib/utpulse.pa

load-module module-oss device=UTAUDIODEV playback=1 record=0
fragment_size=8192
load-module module-native-protocol-unix
- create a pulseaudio setup script 'with the following content:

---EOF---

# vi /etc/X11/Xsession.d/66SUNW-pulseaudio

set +e
pkill -U $USER esd
pkill -U $USER pulseaudio
set -e

unset LD_PRELOAD

if [ "${UTAUDIODEV}"!= "" ]; then

  if [! -d ${HOME}/.pulse ]; then
    mkdir ${HOME}/.pulse
  fi

  # create pulseaudio configuration for utaudio
  PULSECONF=${HOME}/.pulse/default.pa
  sed "s|UTAUDIODEV|$UTAUDIODEV|g" /opt/SUNWut/lib/utpulse.pa > ${PULSECONF}

  # create asoundrc for pulseaudio redirection
  ASOUNDRC=${HOME}/.asoundrc
  echo -n > ${ASOUNDRC}
  echo "pcm.!default { " >> ${ASOUNDRC}
  echo "  type pulse" >> ${ASOUNDRC}
  echo "}" >> ${ASOUNDRC}
  echo "ctl.!default { " >> ${ASOUNDRC}
  echo "  type pulse" >> ${ASOUNDRC}
  echo "}" >> ${ASOUNDRC}
else
  if [ -d ${HOME}/.pulse ]; then
    rm -f ${HOME}/.pulse/default.pa
  fi
fi

---EOF---

Flash9 with sound in Iceweasel

Flashplayer 10 again has fixed colour masks incompatible with the Xnewt
server from SRSS, as had some older versions of Flashplayer 9 that also
inverted colors, or you couldn't get them to play sound. Perhaps version
10 was developed from a fork of an earlier version 9. Therefore, if you
have already installed Flash Player version 10 from the Lenny or the
unstable inofficial debian-multimedia repository, uninstall it. To find
your current installed version you could check with

# dpkg –get-selections | grep flash
# dpkg -l <previous output>
and/or immediately uninstall it with, most probably,

# aptitude purge flashplugin-nonfree

If you had installed Flash manually, you could do

# aptitude install mlocate
# updatedb
    (may take a minute or two)

# locate libflashplayer.so
# mv /<output dirs>/libflashplayer.so /<wherever>/libflashplayer.so_old
or alternatively delete it with
# rm  mv /<output dirs>/libflashplayer.so

As the next step get from Adobe's page at
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html the 226MB package with older
Flash Players for developers. Extract from it the latest version 9
FlashPlayer (version 9.0.156) or get this file directly from here [link
to the 7,8MB file]. Then install FlashPlayer 9.0.156:

# cp -a <srcdir>/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Fixing the sound output requires additional measures, gratefully taken from
http://www.mail-archive.com/sunray-users@filibeto.org/msg13087.html and
http://entrenchant.blogspot.com/2008/05/pulseaudio-firefox-flash-9.htm:

Prepare compiling libflashsupport by installing more build tools. Expect
that some libs and especially libpulse-dev will draw a number of
dependencies with them:

# aptitude install git-core libtool automake pkg-config libpulse-dev
libssl-dev
Then do
# cd /usr/src/local
# /usr/lib/git-core/git-clone
http://git.0pointer.de/repos/libflashsupport.git
# cd libflashsupport
# ./bootstrap.sh
# ./configure --prefix=/usr
# make
# make install

That's it. Modifications in /etc/iceweasel/iceweaselrc are not
necessary, and the ~/.asoundrc created at login by the pulseaudio script
from above is sufficient. Restart iceweasel, and Flash videos should
have sound now.