[SunRay-Users] Microsoft RemoteFX

Vitaly Tsipris vtsipris at laurustech.com
Fri Mar 26 18:09:47 EET 2010

Ivar,

You make some good points. However, my feeling is that because for the
past 10 years people only heard of Wyse, Dell and HP, they will not
think that these vendors do not have the history of product development.
Add to it that Dell and HP are a platform of choice for a lot of
customers in their datacenters for servers and sometimes even storage, I
think Oracle/Sun has a steep hill to climb.
I am also concerned about some "reversed opinions" that customers may
have. What I mean by that is a situation where customers keep hearing
about PCoIP and HDX these days and do not realize that PCoIP is very
much like ALP protocol that Sun has had for years. So when we will have
a conversation with them about their VDI project, they will be thinking
"ALP... oh yeah, VMware has had it for a while now" as opposed to
"ALP... Sun had it for while and VMware is just now validating the
advantages of such protocol".
Bottom line is that I think Oracle/Sun need to throw their hat in the
rink as soon as possible. Otherwise, I fear they will be an "also runs"
instead of a leading VDI/thin client solution vendor.
Again, I could be totally wrong here. I am just expressing my concerns
and eager to hear people's opinions.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Thank you!
Vitaly Tsipris
Systems Engineer