[SunRay-Users] Sun Ray 3 Plus in Google cache archives

William Yang wyang at tjhsst.edu
Fri Mar 26 16:05:47 EET 2010

> That's a matter of tying the video players into our new protocol
> enhancements to use the existing Sun Ray capabilities. Performance of
> those will be improved, as we acquire the ability to use the hardware
> decoding capabilities of the Sun Ray's graphics chip. The difficulty
> over the years has been getting the graphics chip vendors to give us
> enough information (or the required driver code) to make use of the
> advanced features of the graphics chip. We now have a vendor who's
> willing to work with us so that we can now do that.

That's great news!  I guess what I was hoping is that Sun might be willing
to implement one of the existing protocols to send uncompressed video to
hardware instead of only providing Xvenc, as many players out there today
already know how to use those protocols.

Here are the links again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Acceleration_API
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Video_Motion_Compensation

I feel like that would be the easiest way to get better video on UNIX
without actually requiring Sun to code a plugin for a player or publish the
Xvenc API and wait for someone else to code a plugin.

William Yang