[SunRay-Users] Sun Ray 3 Plus in Google cache archives

Kent Peacock Kent.Peacock at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 26 07:21:43 EET 2010

On 03/25/10 21:32, William Yang wrote:
> I wonder if there is a way to use Flash's OpenGL accelerations or convince
> Adobe to use Xvideo or something that is more easily passed down to a thin
> client (since with the Sun Ray 2, if I launch a YouTube stream in mplayer,
> it runs better since mplayer is using Xvideo to transmit to the Sun Ray).

Xvideo is better than running RGB through the X server, for sure, but
better still is to send the uncompressed stream all the way to the Sun
Ray. We already have H264 and MPEG-2 decoders in the firmware using a
new X extension (Xvenc) that facilitates that. In addition, there's a
JPEG decoder that we use for the Flash acceleration in SRSS 4.2, but
it's only available from Windows, and only using IE. Our primary focus
is on providing better video from remote Windows, since that's really
what most of our customers use. I don't know what the status of plugins
for mplayer using these features is.

> I would love to see support for hardware decoding for Solaris sessions
> though, preferably using one of the "standard" existing protocols that I
> mentioned in a thread not too long ago.  That way at least ordinary videos
> can play well, and maybe even Flash when played through mplayer if it uses a
> codec that can be decoded on the Ray.

That's a matter of tying the video players into our new protocol
enhancements to use the existing Sun Ray capabilities. Performance of
those will be improved, as we acquire the ability to use the hardware
decoding capabilities of the Sun Ray's graphics chip. The difficulty
over the years has been getting the graphics chip vendors to give us
enough information (or the required driver code) to make use of the
advanced features of the graphics chip. We now have a vendor who's
willing to work with us so that we can now do that.

Kent