[SunRay-Users] Sun Ray 3 Plus in Google cache archives

Kent Peacock Kent.Peacock at Sun.COM
Fri Mar 26 06:15:07 EET 2010

On 03/25/10 20:12, William Yang wrote:
> Videos, especially Flash.  Because of YouTube, users want this more than
> they used to.

We're well aware of this. The problem is that it's really difficult to
pass Flash content uncompressed down to a thin client, since it's a
proprietary format. The approach that pretty much all the thin client
vendors have to use is to decompress and then recompress the content to
send it down to the thin client, typically using JPEG. It also tends to
be a bit of a CPU hog. I for one hope that Apple's refusal to support
Flash on the iPhone (and presumably the iPad as well) will help other,
open protocols catch up.

> I have heard reports that a demo of HP thin clients (which are probably not
> as thin) worked well on the video front.

With the one I've seen, they're way fat. The required client has to be
about as powerful as a full-fledged PC, and it's a 1-1 mapping of client
to server machine. So, it's a VERY expensive solution. And forget
running it over a high latency, low bandwidth WAN...

Kent