[SunRay-Users] Microsoft RemoteFX

Bryan Gawronski bgawronski at albrightknox.org
Wed Mar 24 07:43:13 EET 2010

Hello,

I saw today that Microsoft has now announced RemoteFX which will add functionality to RDP including better performance for video.

For now RemoteFX appears to only be server side technology (available in a upcoming Windows 2008 R2 SP1) for use with Terminal Server connections.  It looks like Windows 7 support might be a bit down the road.

I also saw that Microsoft has listed a number of partners which are working on supporting RemoteFX but Oracle was not listed.  From what I have read on RemoteFX everyone is pushing it for video performance on Thin Clients.  I am just wondering if Oracle/Sun looked into RemoteFX and what are the chances that it might be supported in future SunRay releases?

Here is a list of vendors working with RemoteFX:

The following hardware and software companies, among others, have engaged with us as RemoteFX partners with the goal to build a formidable ecosystem of first-class user experience solutions: AMD, AppliedMicro, Citrix, Cloudium Systems, Dell, DevonIT, HP, Nvidia, Quest, Texas Instruments, ThinLinx, Via, Wondermedia and Wyse.

Here is some info on RemoteFX:

Just to be clear, RemoteFX is not a new standalone product from Microsoft. Rather, it describes a set of RDP technologies - most prominently graphics virtualization and the use of advanced codes - that are being added to Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1; these technologies are based on the IP that Microsoft acquired and continued to develop since acquiring Calista Technologies. So think of Microsoft RemoteFX as the 'special sauce' in Remote Desktop Services that users will be able to enjoy when they connect to their virtual and session-based desktops and applications over the network. With Microsoft RemoteFX, users will be able to work remotely in a Windows Aero desktop environment, watch full-motion video, enjoy Silverlight animations, and run 3D applications - all with the fidelity of a local-like performance when connecting over the LAN. Their desktops are actually hosted in the data center as part of a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) or a session virtualization environment (formerly known as Terminal Services). With RemoteFX, these users will be able to access their workspace via a standard RDP connection from a broad range of client devices - rich PCs, thin clients and very simple, low-cost devices.

Thanks

Bryan Gawronski