[SunRay-Users] Customizing firmware for SunRay DTUs?

Kent Peacock Kent.Peacock at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 23 21:12:01 EET 2010

On 03/23/10 09:16, Torsten Kasch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks to all of you who have responded so far; I really appreciate your
> input. But unfortunately the solutions outlined so far don't seem to be
> applicable here:
>
> - "DNS config"
>   Being a department/institute within the university, we manage our own
>   SunRay servers but do not have administrative sovereignty over the network
>   infrastructure across the campus. DNS, DHCP, etc is managed by the local
>   IT department and they understandably argue that cannot set up DNS records
>   that point to our SunRay servers only since there are other departments on
>   the campus that run their own (albeit smaller) SunRay infrastructure.

How do those other departments provide configuration for their Sun Rays?
Are the Sun Rays shared among departments, or do you all have your own?
Are your Sun Rays confined to a particular subnet, or do you sprinkle
them throughout the campus?

In an ideal deployment, what you should be doing here is sharing your
Sun Rays with all of the departments on campus that use them, and use
AMGH (Automatic Multi-Group Hotdesking) to route a particular user to
their server group. That's what we do here at Oracle/Sun. Basically, a
user can put their card into any Sun Ray in the world, and based on the
card token, the Sun Ray will be redirected to that user's home server.

> Currently, the best solution I can think of seems to be to provide our IT
> department with the MAC adresses of our DTUs and ask them to provide specific
> settings via DHCP four our SunRays. But the campus network is quite large and
> diveded into several subnets with their own DHCP services (AFAIK), so this
> can be quite a task to manage...

There's another thing you could do if you are able to get buy in from
the other campus Sun Ray users. Set up what we call a "landing zone"
common server (or set of servers), and have the sunray-config-servers
DNS name map to those IP addresses. From there, you can either use AMGH,
or set up individual .parms files to redirect any Sun Ray to the
appropriate server group. Having MAC-specific DHCP configuration would
be a nightmare.

As you can see, we have evolved a number of different mechanisms over
the years to provide configuration flexibility and scalability. (At
Oracle/Sun we have about 30,000 Sun Rays, and the only ones that run GUI
firmware are the remote ones that require VPN credentials.) However, you
have to start somewhere with something. We haven't yet been able to
build ESP into the hardware. ;-)

Kent