[SunRay-Users] Customizing firmware for SunRay DTUs?

Torsten Kasch tk at cebitec.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Mar 23 18:42:13 EET 2010

On Tuesday, 23. March 2010, Ceri Davies wrote:
[...]
> > - "DNS config"
> >   Being a department/institute within the university, we manage our own
> >   SunRay servers but do not have administrative sovereignty over the
> > network infrastructure across the campus. DNS, DHCP, etc is managed by
> > the local IT department and they understandably argue that cannot set up
> > DNS records that point to our SunRay servers only since there are other
> > departments on the campus that run their own (albeit smaller) SunRay
> > infrastructure.
>
> Ask for a subdomain?

Well, in fact we have a subdomain. But how would this help the DHCP server
(which is not under our control) to distinguish our SunRays from those of
another department?

At the moment the only solution seems to be to provide a list of MAC addresses
to the campus IT staff and ask them to set up specific DHCP options for those
clients. But as noted in another mail, this may be difficult to achieve
because of the complexity/size of the campus network and the number of our
DTUs...

cheers,
	Torsten