[SunRay-Users] Customizing firmware for SunRay DTUs?

Torsten Kasch tk at cebitec.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Mar 23 16:21:14 EET 2010

Hi,

we are currently in the process of redesigning our SunRay infrastructure and
need to switch from a dedicated interconnect setup to a "remote shared
subnet" setup for technical and administrative reasons. In the new setup we
will neither have control over the DHCP parameters provided to the DTUs nor
the DNS name space so we cannot easily configure the list of SunRay and
firmware servers for the DTUs.

Deploying the "GUI firmware" and configuring each DTU manually works fine but
isn't really an option for 250+ terminals. Apart from that it really seems
attractive to not have a settings menu where a user might (accidentally or
intentionally) misconfigure the device.

It would be really nice if there were some kind of mechanism that allows us to
generate a custom firmware that either

- contains a fixed list of (names or addresses) of SunRay and/or firmware
  servers to contact, or

- issues DNS queries for the full qualified names sunray-servers.my.domain
  and/or sunray-config-server.my.domain.

Equipped with such a firmware, the DTUs spread across the campus would be
really "zero-admin" devices for us.

So the question is: does anyone know if it is possible to get/buy such a
toolset that allows to create a custom firmware? Of course other hints to
achieve the same result are welcome as well... :-)

cheers,
	Torsten