[SunRay-Users] Sunray connector and USB support for Win 2008

David Bullock david.bullock at machaira.com.au
Tue Mar 16 12:59:28 EET 2010

On 26 February 2010 10:37, CJ Keist <cj.keist at colostate.edu> wrote, without
getting a reply:

> Does anyone on this list have idea when we could expect USB redirection
support for Windows Server 2008?

I also would like bit of a roadmap for Windows Vista+/7 USB redirection
support (and for completeness, Windows Server OS's too, but that's less
pertinent to me).  It's one of the main factors limiting the applicability
of Sun Ray to many situations.

Maybe Sun chose XP because of some of these guesses:

* the largest installed base of VDI VM's are XP;
* Sun had access to existing technology for XP only;
* Microsoft have made it unreasonably difficult to supply USB redirection on
Vista+;
* Microsoft will probably solve USB redirection in RDP sometime anyhow

... I'm just speculating on all of these points, of course.

It would seem that UK-based Fabula Tech have USB redirection for just about
every thin-client out there *except* for Sun Ray [1], working for all
versions of Windows.  I exchanged email with Fabula Tech at one stage, and
they were interested in Sun Ray, but seemed to be having trouble coming to
grips with how the SRSS/SRWC/Solaris thing worked together.  I encouraged
them to join a Solaris developer program so they could cheaply access the
raw materials, but I guess they didn't successfully engage with Sun on it.
(It was nearly a year ago that this exchange took place).  Given that Fabula
Tech have an alleged product that covers all the bases (I've not tested it
or explored its limitations), it seems technically feasible for Sun to
develop (or, now that they're owned by Oracle, acquire) a similar
capability.

[1] http://www.usb-over-network.com/usbnet-solutions/thinclients.html