[SunRay-Users] VMware training by VMware employees say Sun Ray and Sun X line of servers are officially dead?

Dante Brown uncch4ever at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 15:31:09 EET 2010

Hey Gents.

I work with one of Sun's Top Federal Resellers.  We are also a VMware
Partner.  Last week, I have had to address this matter on four
different occasions.  While with one of those occasions the VMware Rep flat
out said this, that rep steered the potential end-user customer to thin
client solutions such as Samsung (big hah, right?).  The other three had
VMware reps actually telling customers and our sales reps that Sun will no
longer support VMware View and will drop the Sun Ray practice.  Coincidence
would have it that this thread had start around the same time.  I totally
believe this is all FUD, since I have had previous discussions with Oracle
Reps who hinted at plans for future Sun Ray solutions.  I was then reminded
about the VMware Partner Exchange event in Las Vegas a few weeks ago.  This
is most likely where the FUD began to take root.

Here's where I need some assistance.  Is there an official statement, in
regards to the future of Sun Ray, that we can provide to the customer?  My
company have a good number of opportunities for Sun Ray deployments.  The
potential customers are now antsy, due to all the rhetoric about the Sun's
thin client direction.  I have designed and deployed some proof of concepts,
for some of our clients.  Some of these projects are now endangered because
these PoC's deploy Sun Rays and VMware View.

DB