[SunRay-Users] SDK for SRSS

peter_blatherwick at mitel.com peter_blatherwick at mitel.com
Tue Jun 29 16:57:35 EEST 2010

Thanks Craig and others at Oracle working on this.  Such a guide / manual
/ best practices would indeed be a really big help!

>  ... provide it a manner that one does not have to be an
> expert in awk/sed/grep/etc to make it useful ...

To my mind at least, it is not so much about awk et al, but more about
understanding what interfaces are available, which ones are stable,
efficient and so on.  There is a lot of them, and quite hard to penetrate.

That said, it would be very helpful to have some worked examples on
commonly needed functions (e.g. converting logical token to card ID leaps
to mind).  "To do X, here's a scripty-thing that works and is stable:
"

I trust this will be announced here and elsewhere when baked enough?  Any
idea how long?  (I'd personally rather have something mostly baked
earlier, but understand your powers that be may not share that view.  q;^)

-- Peter

Craig Bender <Craig.Bender at oracle.com>
Sent by: sunray-users-bounces at filibeto.org
2010.06.28 20:57
Please respond to SunRay-Users mailing list

        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [SunRay-Users] SDK for SRSS

While not a SDK in the traditional sense, we are working now on a Kiosk
Deployment Guide / Reference Manual.  This document will cover things
like a deeper dive into the kiosk frame work, session flow (startup/tear
down), documenting the utilities provided by SUNWkio, public and stable
interfaces to gather session information from, best practices, examples,
troubleshooting, and debugging.  My goal is to have this document out
fairly soon (i.e. before August).

Along with the documentation Jörg mentioned, we will also be pulling in
information from various sources such as some excellent (although
internal only) engineering docs (most written by Jörg!), blogs, wikis,
and this mailing list.  After all of this disparate information is
pulled together into one concise guide, we will keep it updated with any
changes to Kiosk mode that may affect the previous versions operation.

The target audience of this doc will not only be the SRSS system
administrators and the partners/resellers who deploy Sun Rays, but also
for 3rd party ISV's that would like to develop their own Kiosk Session
Descriptors.  A great example of this would be (and I'm not saying they
are doing this) would be Citrix.  They could key off of the SUNWkio
package when installing the ICA Client for Linux or Solaris and drop in
all the required files to have a Kiosk Session descriptor for Sun Rays
Servers that have the Citrix ICA client installed.  Same could be said
for the all the different VDI brokers out there, Quest, Leostream, etc.
  However we'd really love it if everyone just used Oracle VDI instead. ;)

An obligatory but important note/disclaimer: Users following the
recommendations and best practices in this document does not mean Oracle
will be certifying individual applications or commenting on their
suitability for use in Kiosk mode. Rather, it's a guide on how to use
Kiosk Mode feature of SRSS in a supported manner.

As part of the same project, but bigger in scope and just in the drawing
board stage, would be to provide a set of utilities that provide the
most commonly used session information in the least invasive way
possible.  For instance, while utwho is a great utility to find out the
IP address of your DTU, it's not so great when 500 kiosk sessions are
calling it on a server start up since it invokes the authentication
daemon (authd).

Here's where we at Oracle developing Sun Ray Software would love to hear
from you.  What session information would you like to have at your
disposal?  Things like IP, MAC address, token ID, etc.

Granted most of this session information is available today, but the
idea here is to provide it a manner that one does not have to be an
expert in awk/sed/grep/etc to make it useful and as mentioned before,
make getting this information less taxing on the system.  In my mind the
latter is just as important reason as Oracle's latest x86 servers are
far more powerful than ever before and having 500 kiosk sessions on a
1RU server like the x4170 is now a reality. In order to reduce the
number of "gotchas" when scaling vertically like this, removing any
bottle necks that may be caused by software becomes very important.  In
some cases that may be re-working some of the core pieces of SRSS or
even some tuning and tweaking of the OS, but in the short term,
non-invasive information gathering utilities will save a lot of cycles
especially in Kiosk Mode.

Also feel free to drop me a note (either directly or to this list) on
future enhancements you'd like to see to Kiosk Mode.  For instance, I'd
like to include a few more default session descriptors by default like
the Generic X Session and perhaps a session descriptor that just
launches a terminal that can be used to test scripts against.  While
it's easy to create these things, I'd like things to be easier out of
the box.  Other ideas include creating GUI equivalents to all the CLI
only tools or providing access to the via the Admin GUI, like being able
to declare what you'd like to do via utaction right from the Edit kiosk
session tab, allowing for multiple kiosk definitions (or productizing
something like Daniel Cifuentes's Meta-Kiosk
http://blogs.sun.com/ThinkThin/entry/meta_kiosk_how_to_run).

Don't limit your thinking or ideas to the underlying Solaris or Linux
session, if you'd like to see the Sun Ray Windows Connector do something
in Kiosk mode it currently doesn't, speak up.  Not really looking for
"Hey it would be great if SRWC did 3D" or "Support Web Cams", more along
the lines of "provide a built in mechanism to lock the windows session
on session disconnect instead of having to rely on xvkbd".

Thanks and regards,
CB