[SunRay-Users] SRSS 4.2 + OSol 124/125/126 slower than SRSS 4.1?

Marty Scholes martyscholes at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 15:44:06 EET 2009

Bob Doolittle wrote:
> Out of curiosity, do you still have the previous
> OSol Boot Environment?

Of course not, that would be simple.  I am thin on space in rpool, so I torched 125 shortly after I noticed 126 was basically ok.

> We have heard reports that things slowed
> significantly in a particular
> OpenSolaris build, that would be nice to verify.

That is interesting.  I was on 125 when I went from 4.1 to 4.2 and I have subsequently moved to 126.  Both 125 and 126 seemed to have performance issues with 4.2.

The SRSS upgrade went so poorly that my new evil plan is that this weekend I do a fresh install of 126 and 4.2 to rule out any upgrade-weirdness.

If it makes more sense I can try to find an older OSol build to start with and upgrade from there to see where 4.2 hits the wall.  Is there a particular build you think might be a good starting point?

> Personally I hate gnome-terminal and continue
> to use xterm, and I've not
> seen a big change.

I probably should do the same, but gnome-terminal seems to be the current fad, so I use it.  I also miss xterm: quick, simple and always worked.  But my nostalgia doesn't stop there.  When Gnome bothers me I long for OpenLook and  when I get particularly annoyed with Unix I start longing for the days of 3279 terminals (kind of an early multihead) stacked next to each other on my desk while working on DOS/VSE.

> What version of browser do you use?

Don't have it in front of me; whatever the default is in 126.

Many thanks for the feedback.

Sincerely,
Marty