[SunRay-Users] Ubuntu 9.10 - 2 days to go

Joerg Barfurth jub at sun.com
Wed Oct 28 11:44:20 EET 2009

Sean Clarke schrieb:
> Well, it's 2 days to go until Ubuntu 9.10 is launched, has anyone
> managed to get it working with Sun Ray?
>
> I fired up VirtualBox this evening, downloaded SRSS 5 and the latest
> Ubuntu and using the instructions from
> http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/Sun_Ray_on_Ubuntu gave it a
> whirl.....
>
> Some GDM issues by the looks:
>
> utgdmconfigpath: Cannot determine GDM install directory
> ln: creating symbolic link `PreSession/:11': No such file or directory
> ln: creating symbolic link `PostSession/:11': No such file or directory
> ln: creating symbolic link `PostLogin/:11': No such file or directory
> ln: creating symbolic link `Init/:11': No such file or directory
> /etc/opt/SUNWut/xmgr/notify[92]: gdmdynamic: not found
> /etc/opt/SUNWut/xmgr/notify[92]: gdmdynamic: not found
>
> Sun Rays stuck on 26B.. getting late now, wil pick up tomorrow evening...

I believe Ubuntu 9.10 will use gdm 2.28. That is a complete rewrite of
gdm that has some serious regressions in functionality. In particular
current versions don't properly support multiple 'seats' (i.e. connected
displays) and dynamically adding displays. For this reason that version
of gdm cannot possibly work for Sun Ray.

The missing functionality is being added back. A development branch of
gdm and the underlying consolekit service that adds the missing pieces
for multiseat is actively being worked on.

But although that work is being done by Sun engineers with particular
attention to Sun Ray requirements, it is still work in progress and
proper integration of this with SRSS has not yet been done. So if you
grab that source code from git and build it yourself, you will still
have a way to go to get it working with SRSS.

Probably your best bet is to try replacing the gdm 2.28 that comes with
Ubuntu 9.10 with a gdm 2.20 (the last version before the rewrite). I
don't know, if there exist Ubuntu packages for that. Maybe you have to
compile that yourself as well.

- Jörg