[SunRay-Users] Ubuntu 9.10 - 2 days to go

Bob Doolittle Robert.Doolittle at Sun.COM
Wed Oct 28 02:29:12 EET 2009

Sean Clarke wrote:
> Well, it's 2 days to go until Ubuntu 9.10 is launched, has anyone
> managed to get it working with Sun Ray?
>
> I fired up VirtualBox this evening, downloaded SRSS 5 and the latest
> Ubuntu and using the instructions from
> http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/Sun_Ray_on_Ubuntu gave it a
> whirl.....
>
> Some GDM issues by the looks:
>
> utgdmconfigpath: Cannot determine GDM install directory
> ln: creating symbolic link `PreSession/:11': No such file or directory
> ln: creating symbolic link `PostSession/:11': No such file or directory
> ln: creating symbolic link `PostLogin/:11': No such file or directory
> ln: creating symbolic link `Init/:11': No such file or directory
> /etc/opt/SUNWut/xmgr/notify[92]: gdmdynamic: not found
> /etc/opt/SUNWut/xmgr/notify[92]: gdmdynamic: not found
>
> Sun Rays stuck on 26B.. getting late now, wil pick up tomorrow evening...

If you can figure out where the GDM custom.conf lives, you can modify
/opt/SUNWut/lib/utgdmconfigpath to emit that path and hopefully things
will work better.
Let me know, and although it's too late to fix for SRSS 4.2 I can
address it for future. Assuming the distros don't move it again, of course.

Honestly, trying to develop software on top of Linux is like trying to
build a bridge out of pudding. What value are they adding by moving
stuff to a different directory from everybody else? Brand recognition?

You might be running into a new problem, though. What goes the command
"gdmflexiserver -command VERSION" report? If it's the new version of
GDM, and doesn't have the dynamic display feature (only recently
integrated I believe), you're going to be stuck I'm afraid.

Ready to try OpenSolaris yet? ;-)

-Bob