[SunRay-Users] Purchasing smart cards for use with Sun Rays

Michael Bender Michael.Bender at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 27 00:39:29 EET 2009

On Oct 26, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Robert Bronsdon wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:06:38 -0000, Isaac Bush <isaac at okeeffemuseum.org
> > wrote:
>
>> Sun sells Payflex cards in packs of 25. We've been using those. It's
>> X1403A with Sun artwork and X1404A without.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> With the part number in hand I was able to find them on the Sun
> site. Now all I have to do is convince 24 other students they want
> to buy one.

Sometimes you can depend on the goodwill of a card manufacturer and
contact
them and ask them for some free samples for your University work.

You can use pretty much any OpenPlatform-compliant JavaCard card with
Sun Ray
for session mobility without any changes to the software. The cards
that Sun
sells are are not JavaCard cards, so their use for anything but Sun
Ray session
mobility is fairly limited. If you get some OpenPlatform cards into your
students' hands, you might ignite the spark of exploration in some of
them to
learn more about smartcard technology and write some JavaCard applets
for the
cards.

mike