[SunRay-Users] Why Sun Rays?

Mike Cornelia mike.cornelia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:55:45 EET 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Wouter Coppens <wouter at axio.be> wrote:

> All,
>
> Last week, we had a demo of the upcoming VMware View. One of the most interesting features is the PCoIP (PC over IP) protocol.
> It’s a protocol especially designed for multimedia and works over low bandwidth and high latency networks.
>
> After the demo there was the question: in a VDI environment, why should you still use Sun Rays?
>
> We always proposed Sun Rays for it’s easy management and it works on low bandwidth and high latency networks. The last points are not really an advantage any more.
>
> What are other Sun Ray users thinking?
>
> Regards,
>
> Wouter

Hmmmm   . . .   Let's see . . .   not familiar with PCoIP but I'll
take a stab at it:

* Ease of management (as you stated)
* Only 4watts of power - so very "green"
* No moving parts like fans & HDD, so less to break
* Desktop PC still runs an OS and therefore is susceptible to Malware,
viruses, etc.  (back to ease of management)

What about security?  Is a Sun ray more secure?  Am I on the right track?

Mike