[SunRay-Users] Serious use of SRSS from within a VM

Mike Cornelia mike.cornelia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:26:45 EEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Sean Clarke
<sean.clarke at sec-consulting.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>    Apart from the odd play/test/education is anybody getting serious use
> from SRSS running from inside a VM (say Virtualbox/VMWare or Xen) ?
>
> There are more and more services being deployed on VMs these days and i was
> just looking ahead and wondering if SRSS was being used.
>
> The way i set my systems up, whereby I have a set install
> (OpenSolaris/Ubuntu) and users homes are NFS's - because I keep to a set
> install routine with regard to packages etc. I could (in theory) prepare a
> "gold image" of say Ubuntu 9.10, then roll it out across all clients. Then
> when 10.4 comes out, prepare a new "gold image" at home, install the image
> on the clients machines, stop the 9.10 image and start the 10.4 (if there is
> a problem - rollback).
>
> This sounds very "nirvana" - I guess the thing that makes me edgy is the
> thought of 20 users running full desktop sessions from a VM - however, with
> the likes of Oracle, IBM, HP, Postgres etc. people all deploying huge
> systems vurtually, makes me wonder if I am a bit behind the times. It took a
> long time for me to jump to the VM world, but since doing so I really
> haven't looked back.
>
> Of course, client hardware would need to be beefy, but they are pretty state
> of the art (quad core fast AMDs, 16GB RAM etc.).... maybe...
>
> Whats your thoughts?
>
> --
> --
> Regards
> Sean Clarke
> SEC Consulting Limited
> Phone: +44 (0)23 8040 5599
> Website: http://www.sec-consulting.co.uk
> Email: sean.clarke at sec-consulting.co.uk

We install Sun Rays in Retail (Point of Sale - inventory management),
in offices as desktops, and in Distribution Centers.

Many of our SRSS servers are VM's running in VMware ESX 3.5 and ESXi
4.0.  In the offices and Distributions Centers they run in kiosk mode
talking back to Windows VM's (2003 R2 and 2008) using uttsc.  The
Retail applications run Sun's Java Desktop System & Xterm in Kiosk
mode.  All SRSS servers are Solaris 10.

We are currently testing Virtual Box as a replacement to VMware, but
none are in production yet.

We think VM's and Sun Rays are fantastic solutions for our customers.
Making management easy and reducing TCO (not to mention saving $$$).
But I guess I'm preaching to the chior on this one!   ;-)

Cheers,
Mike

----

Mike Cornelia