[SunRay-Users] Kiosk mode security problem?

Jörg Barfurth Joerg.Barfurth at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 20 13:22:38 EEST 2009

Antony Healey schrieb:
> I’ve been using the Kiosk mode with the only application (as ‘Critical’)
> being Firefox. To my mind, this should mean that Firefox is the only
> thing the user can see/use.
>

> Yet we’ve discovered that if you “right-click” on the Orange menu
> button, you can open up a floating menu and “Browse” is available. You
> can then browse the local file system.
>

> That hardly qualifies as ‘kiosk’ in my mind. Can anyone recommend an
> easy way to prevent this from happening, is there a place to turn this
> off for all kiosk-mode users?

This is a known bug (6519615) in JDS, that should be fixed with recent
revisions (-28 and later; -34 is current) of the GNOME Desktop Patch
(122212(SPARC)/122213(x86)).

Alternatively you can use the CDE-based kiosk session with your firefox
application or create a special kiosk session that does not involve an
entire desktop environment, but only starts firefox - and an X window
manager of your choice, if your firefox application requires
multiple/popup windows.

HTH

- Jörg Barfurth

--