[SunRay-Users] serial to USB adapter

Bruce Silveria bruce at sum-it.com
Sat Oct 10 02:00:40 EEST 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:25:20 -0700
> From: Bruce Silveria <bruce at sum-it.com>
> To: sunray-users at filibeto.org
> Subject: Re: [SunRay-Users] serial to USB adapter
>
> On Oct 8, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Bruce Silveria wrote:
>> After doing a bit of web research I found
>> http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/sunray/sunray.pdf dated 3/12/2009
>> and number of references that indicated that the Quatech
>> SSU-100/SSU2-100 (along with a few others others) was supported in the
>> Sun Ray enviroment.  With high hopes, I promptly ordered an SSU2-100
>> and upon receiving it, pluggged it in to a USB port my Sun Ray 2FS.  I
>> expected to see a node created in the /tmp/SUNWut/units/.../dev
>> directory but alas, no joy.  Subsequently, we have also tried the Digi
>> Edgeport/1 and Keyspan USA-19HS with the same results.  I have
>> searched for information on how to communicate with these devices.
>> However, I cannot seem to find any docs on what is required to make
>> things work.
>>
>> Has anyone used any of the USB to Serial adapters listed in the
>> sunray.pdf referenced above?
>>
>> Can you give me a clue (or 2) as to where to look to find out how I
>> might get one to work?
>
>  I use Edgeport units (the quad model) on Sun Ray 1s with good
> results.  There's a bit of latency but I don't think I've ever had
> one fail to function.  I'm running Solaris 10 on UltraSPARC.
>
>         -Dave
>
> Dave,
>
> Thanks for the info. Glad to hear they work.
> If you have a moment, could you let me know where you found docs on
> configuration/setup.  I am trying to find answers to following
> questions:
> When connecting the Edgeport to the Sun Ray are there nodes created in
> the /tmp/SUNWut/units/.../dev directory?
> Did you need to install drivers or perform other configuration steps
> so that you could send data via the Edgeport?
> --
> Bruce Silveria
> SUM/IT Systems

> On Oct 8, 2009, at 3:25 PM, Bruce Silveria wrote:
>>>   I use Edgeport units (the quad model) on Sun Ray 1s with good
>>> results.  There's a bit of latency but I don't think I've ever had
>>> one fail to function.  I'm running Solaris 10 on UltraSPARC.
>>

>> Thanks for the info. Glad to hear they work.
>> If you have a moment, could you let me know where you found docs on
>> configuration/setup.
>
>   I don't think I ever even looked.  I saw the make and model number
> in the supported hardware list, I scored one (the first one) on eBay
> for $15, it arrived, I plugged it in, and I had device nodes in /tmp/
> SUNWut/sessions/$SUNRAY_NUM/unit/dev/term.
>
>>   I am trying to find answers to following
>> questions:
>> When connecting the Edgeport to the Sun Ray are there nodes created in
>> the /tmp/SUNWut/units/.../dev directory?
>
>   No, they're in /tmp/SUNWut/sessions/$SUNRAY_NUM/unit/dev/term,
> [...]

Dave,

Thanks for the extra info.  You motivated me to persevere - it's working.

I think that perhaps our lab environment was a bit to cluttered with
different versions of SRSS and Sun Ray firmware.  I isolated one
server and one Sun Ray 2, made sure they were both running current
software and firmware and voila! the Digi Edgeport/1 node showed up in
the dev/term directory.
After my success with the Edgeport/I also tried the Keyspan USA-19HS,
the HCL lists the USA-19, but the -19HS seems to be the current model
and it did not work. I had an new adapter from Belkin and it did not
work either.  I haven't tried the Quatech unit in my "clean"
environment yet.

Thanks again for your help.

Bruce Silveria
SUM/IT Systems