[SunRay-Users] Browser Kiosk Mode problem

Quayle, Bill Bill.Quayle at cmegroup.com
Fri Oct 9 17:15:07 EEST 2009


Paul,

Your browser session settings are stored in the home directory of the kiosk user.  When the kiosk session terminates, this home directory is removed, so any changes that are made are lost.

What I have done is to run the kiosk session and get things setup the way I like, then copy the appropriate configuration dirs & files to the kiosk template directory (look under /etc/opt/SUNWkio/prototypes for the appropriate directory).

Hope this helps,

-Bill


From: sunray-users-bounces at filibeto.org [mailto:sunray-users-bounces at filibeto.org] On Behalf Of Talley, Paul
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 8:19 AM
To: Jörg Barfurth
Cc: SunRay-Users mailing list
Subject: Re: [SunRay-Users] Browser Kiosk Mode problem


Got that, thanks! Trying to go too fast. Any information on why the homepage and proxy settings don't stay when I run the browser in kiosk mode? it stays no problem when i'm not in kiosk mode, any browers, firefox or mozilla or opera

-----Original Message-----
From: Jörg Barfurth [mailto:Joerg.Barfurth at Sun.COM]
Sent: Fri 10/9/2009 6:16 AM
To: Talley, Paul
Cc: SunRay-Users mailing list
Subject: Re: [SunRay-Users] Browser Kiosk Mode problem

Talley, Paul schrieb:
> This is the output of /var/opt/SUNWut/log/messages when I have
> /opt/firefox/firefox or /usr/sfw/bin/mozilla set as an application.
> Still not sure why the browser settings are not passed through to th
> kiosk users.
>

You have these applications set as type "Application Descriptor", but
they need to be of type "Executable".

The web admin GUI really should try to figure out the setting to use
using some heuristics (.conf extension and/or execute permission), but
for now you have to make sure the right setting is used.

- Jörg


> ct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kiosk:jds3-session:applauncher[26273]: [ID
> 702911 user.error] Error: failed to load Application Descriptor
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kiosk:jds3-session:applauncher[26273]: [ID
> 702911 user.error] Error: failed to load Application Descriptor
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kiosk:jds3-session:applauncher[26274]: [ID
> 702911 user.error] Error: failed to load application descriptor 'firefox'
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kiosk:jds3-session:applauncher[26274]: [ID
> 702911 user.error] Error: failed to load application descriptor 'firefox'
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kiosk:jds3-session[26275]: [ID 702911
> user.error] Error: command '/etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/jds3/applauncher
> desc firefox critical ' failed
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kiosk:jds3-session[26275]: [ID 702911
> user.error] Error: command '/etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/jds3/applauncher
> desc firefox critical ' failed
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kioskcrit: [ID 702911 user.notice] Info:
> critical application jds3-kiosk-session (pid=26212) exited with non zero
> status: 1
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[26071]: [ID 422571 user.info] Info:
> a critical application has exited.
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[26071]: [ID 801024 user.info]
> Terminating Kiosk Primary Session ( pid=26212 )
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kioskcrit: [ID 702911 user.notice] Info:
> critical application jds3-kiosk-session (pid=26212) exited with non zero
> status: 1
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[26071]: [ID 422571 user.info] Info:
> a critical application has exited.
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[26071]: [ID 801024 user.info]
> Terminating Kiosk Primary Session ( pid=26212 )
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[26071]: [ID 308018 user.info]
> kioskcritd stopped
> Oct  9 08:42:42 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[26071]: [ID 308018 user.info]
> kioskcritd stopped
>
>
> For Mozilla
>
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kiosk:cde-session[982]: [ID 702911 user.info]
> Starting CDE Kiosk session on display ':2'
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kiosk:cde-session[982]: [ID 702911 user.info]
> Starting CDE Kiosk session on display ':2'
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kiosk:cde-session:applauncher[1016]: [ID
> 702911 user.debug] adding cde session application
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kiosk:cde-session:applauncher[1021]: [ID
> 702911 user.error] Error: failed to load Application Descriptor
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kiosk:cde-session:applauncher[1021]: [ID
> 702911 user.error] Error: failed to load Application Descriptor
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kiosk:cde-session:applauncher[1022]: [ID
> 702911 user.error] Error: failed to load application descriptor
> '/usr/sfw/bin/mozilla'
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kiosk:cde-session[1023]: [ID 702911
> user.error] Error: command '/etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/cde/applauncher
> desc /usr/sfw/bin/mozilla auto ' failed
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kioskcrit: [ID 702911 user.notice] Info:
> critical application cde-kiosk-session (pid=981) exited with non zero
> status: 1
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[799]: [ID 422571 user.info] Info: a
> critical application has exited.
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[799]: [ID 558315 user.info]
> Terminating Kiosk Primary Session ( pid=981 )
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[799]: [ID 308018 user.info]
> kioskcritd stopped
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kiosk:cde-session:applauncher[1022]: [ID
> 702911 user.error] Error: failed to load application descriptor
> '/usr/sfw/bin/mozilla'
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kiosk:cde-session[1023]: [ID 702911
> user.error] Error: command '/etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/cde/applauncher
> desc /usr/sfw/bin/mozilla auto ' failed
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kioskcrit: [ID 702911 user.notice] Info:
> critical application cde-kiosk-session (pid=981) exited with non zero
> status: 1
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[799]: [ID 422571 user.info] Info: a
> critical application has exited.
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[799]: [ID 558315 user.info]
> Terminating Kiosk Primary Session ( pid=981 )
> Oct  9 08:57:55 ma06ray01 kioskcritd[799]: [ID 308018 user.info]
> kioskcritd stopped
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: sunray-users-bounces at filibeto.org on behalf of Talley, Paul
> Sent: Fri 10/9/2009 5:49 AM
> To: SunRay-Users mailing list; Joerg Barfurth; SunRay-Users mailing list
> Subject: [SunRay-Users] Browser Kiosk Mode problem
>
> I am trying to set up a kiosk mode system using a browser only in a JDS
> kiosk mode session. I tried to set things up with the instructions from
> ttp://blogs.sun.com/ThinkThin/entry/kiosk_mode_browser and when any
> kiosk mode session started the thin client would not start the session,
> it would reboot over and over.
>
> I then tried  /usr/local/bin/opera -kioskmode -nosplash -nomail
> -nomaillinks -noprint -nosave -nohotlist -nomenu -nodownload -nosession
> -kioskbuttons -kioskwindows http://www.sun.com  and it worked fine
> except for one thing, when my kiosk user utkioxx connects and the
> browser starts, none of my settings are kept, meaning I set the homepage
> and the proxyweb server and when the browser starts in kiosk mode none
> of those settings are kepts.
>
> This is the same when I use mozilla or if I simply add
> /usr/firefox/firefox as an application in JDS,  I have the homepage as
> set and I set the proxyweb server in options in each browser but it
> doesn't maintain those settings when the browser is ran in kiosk mode.
>
>
> Please help!
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: sunray-users-bounces at filibeto.org on behalf of Talley, Paul
> Sent: Fri 10/9/2009 5:18 AM
> To: Joerg Barfurth; SunRay-Users mailing list
> Subject: [SunRay-Users] Firefox Kiosk Mode problem
>
> I un-installed everything and re-installed 4.2. Everything seems to be
> working. I'm trying to follow the instructions on thinkthin blog to set
> up a firefox kiosk mode where the user only gets a browser. That seems
> to be working but it's not passing on the settings I enter for the proxy
> web server and the homepage.
>
> Paul
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joerg Barfurth [mailto:Joerg.Barfurth at Sun.COM]
> Sent: Fri 10/9/2009 3:18 AM
> To: SunRay-Users mailing list
> Cc: Talley, Paul
> Subject: Re: [SunRay-Users] Firefox Kiosk Mode problem
>
> Talley, Paul schrieb:
>
>  > Below is the output of /var/opt/SUNWut/log/messsages. It behaves the
>  > same when I have JDS as kiosk mode with no applications. I have seen
>  > something similiar to this when the Sun Recommended patch cluster was
>  > not installed but it is installed on this system.
>  >
>
> The problem is that despite of this:
>
>  > Oct  8 11:21:36 ma06ray01 kiosk:initsession[13977]: [ID 702911
>  > user.debug] Success: created directory
>  > '/var/run/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/utku32'
> ...
>  > Oct  8 11:21:36 ma06ray01 kiosk:initsession[13989]: [ID 702911
>  > user.debug] Staging Session Configuration of display ':2' for utku32
> ...
>  > Oct  8 11:21:36 ma06ray01 kiosk:initsession[13992]: [ID 702911
>  > user.debug] loading Session Configuration from file
>  > '/var/run/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/utku32/session.conf'
>  > Oct  8 11:21:36 ma06ray01 kiosk:initsession[13994]: [ID 702911
>  > user.debug] reading value from config file
>  > '/var/run/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/utku32/session.conf'
>  > Oct  8 11:21:36 ma06ray01 kiosk:initsession[13996]: [ID 702911
>  > user.debug] Success: read config file
>  > '/var/run/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/utku32/session.conf'
> ...
>  > Oct  8 11:21:37 ma06ray01 Xstartup[14082]: [ID 702911 user.debug]
>  > loading Session Configuration from file
>  > '/var/run/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/utku32/session.conf'
>  > Oct  8 11:21:37 ma06ray01 Xstartup[14084]: [ID 702911 user.debug]
>  > reading value from config file
>  > '/var/run/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/utku32/session.conf'
>  > Oct  8 11:21:37 ma06ray01 Xstartup[14086]: [ID 702911 user.debug]
>  > Success: read config file
>  > '/var/run/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/utku32/session.conf'
>
>
> ... we later see this failure:
>
>  > Oct  8 11:21:37 ma06ray01 kiosk:Xsession[14105]: [ID 702911 user.debug]
>  > starting Kiosk session
>  > Oct  8 11:21:37 ma06ray01 kiosk:Xsession[14106]: [ID 702911 user.debug]
>  > Cannot load kiosk session configuration: No session activated - missing
>  > file /var/run/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/utku32/session.conf
>  > Oct  8 11:21:37 ma06ray01 kiosk:Xsession[14107]: [ID 702911 user.debug]
>  > Error: $KIOSK_SESSION_EXEC not specified
>
> This might be CR 6831388. Can you check if you see:
>     $ grep ^CMASK /etc/default/init
>     CMASK=077
>
> - Jörg
>
> --
> Joerg Barfurth           phone: +49 40 23646662 / x66662
> Software Engineer        mailto:joerg.barfurth at sun.com
> Desktop Technology       http://reserv.ireland/twiki/bin/view/Argus/
> Thin Client Software     http://www.sun.com/software/sunray/
> Sun Microsystems GmbH    http://www.sun.com/software/javadesktopsystem/
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Joerg Barfurth           Phone: +49 40 23646662
Software Engineer        mailto:joerg.barfurth at sun.com
Desktop Technology
Thin Client Software     http://www.sun.com/software/sunray/
Sun Microsystems GmbH    http://www.sun.com/software/javadesktopsystem/

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.filibeto.org/pipermail/sunray-users/attachments/20091009/eb102dce/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the SunRay-Users mailing list