[SunRay-Users] serial to USB adapter

Bruce Silveria bruce at sum-it.com
Thu Oct 8 22:25:20 EEST 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Bruce Silveria wrote:
> After doing a bit of web research I found
> http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/sunray/sunray.pdf dated 3/12/2009
> and number of references that indicated that the Quatech
> SSU-100/SSU2-100 (along with a few others others) was supported in the
> Sun Ray enviroment.  With high hopes, I promptly ordered an SSU2-100
> and upon receiving it, pluggged it in to a USB port my Sun Ray 2FS.  I
> expected to see a node created in the /tmp/SUNWut/units/.../dev
> directory but alas, no joy.  Subsequently, we have also tried the Digi
> Edgeport/1 and Keyspan USA-19HS with the same results.  I have
> searched for information on how to communicate with these devices.
> However, I cannot seem to find any docs on what is required to make
> things work.
>
> Has anyone used any of the USB to Serial adapters listed in the
> sunray.pdf referenced above?
>
> Can you give me a clue (or 2) as to where to look to find out how I
> might get one to work?

  I use Edgeport units (the quad model) on Sun Ray 1s with good
results.  There's a bit of latency but I don't think I've ever had
one fail to function.  I'm running Solaris 10 on UltraSPARC.

         -Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear they work.
If you have a moment, could you let me know where you found docs on
configuration/setup.  I am trying to find answers to following
questions:
When connecting the Edgeport to the Sun Ray are there nodes created in
the /tmp/SUNWut/units/.../dev directory?
Did you need to install drivers or perform other configuration steps
so that you could send data via the Edgeport?
--
Bruce Silveria
SUM/IT Systems