[SunRay-Users] Firefox Kiosk Mode problem

Talley, Paul Paul.Talley at tadpole.com
Thu Oct 8 17:37:50 EEST 2009

I am trying to run a browser only (firefox) in kiosk mode. I have done the following and when I launch /opt/firefox -kiosk admin it just starts a normal firefox browser, it does no prompt for a password.

Install firefox in /opt:
----------------------------
Download the latest firefox from
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/2.0.0.12/contrib/solaris_tarball/
Unzip firefox to /opt/firefox

Install and Configure Kiosk extensions:
Download the two kiosk XPI's from
https://www.mozdevgroup.com/dropbox/jslib/signed/jslib_current_signed.xpi
http://brooklynmuseum.mozdevgroup.com/install/xpi/signed/bmakiosk_current-ff-generic_signed.xpi

Register the Components
    /opt/firefox/firefox -install-global-extension /opt/firefox/bma/jslib_current_signed.xpi (If you get an error, try it again.)
    /opt/firefox/firefox -install-global-extension /opt/firefox/bma/bmakiosk_current-ff-generic_signed.xpi

Create a URL whitelist file.. /opt/firefox/whitelist
    allowed[sgdserver.domain.com, ALL];

Start the Kiosk extension admin GUI:
    /opt/firefox/firefox -kiosk admin

I have also done the following:

Configure Kiosk Mode:
-------------------------
Create a kiosk application called Secure Global Desktop
    vi /etc/opt/SUNWkio/applications/firefox.conf

    KIOSK_APP_EXEC=/opt/firefox/firefox
    KIOSK_APP_ARGS="-kiosk"
    KIOSK_APP_LABEL="Firefox Kiosk"
    KIOSK_APP_ICON=/opt/firefox/icons/mozicon50.xpm
    KIOSK_APP_DESCRIPTION="Launch Firefox"

Set up Kiosk mode to launch a JDS 3 session
Add the Firefox application as AUTO start to the JDS 3 session.

When I select JDS as for kiosk mode and add /opt/firefox/firefox  as the application or if I simply add a customer application and put the absolute path to firefox or mozilla for non card users only when the thin client connects it never starts a session, it starts to connect then just reboots over and over. Am I missing something here?