[SunRay-Users] dithering/rendering issues with SRSS 4.1 running KDE4

Stephan Oeste it at oeste.de
Thu Feb 26 15:19:24 EET 2009

Hello all,

we have dithering/rendering issues with SRSS 4.1 running KDE4 on Sun Rays.
We run a Ubuntu hardy on VMware Server 2.x.

Transparent parts of buttons or other transparent parts of the image are dithered.

As you can see here:
http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/pics/may2008/kde4-sparc.png

Even with KDE3 there is this effect present. For example the text of the desktop icons are a little dithered around the edges. Also deactivated buttons show that effect.

I think that the X server of SRSS is not capable to render transparenty.

It seems to be exactly the problem mentiond here:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=61951&tstart=60

Is there a way to enable transparenty, or maybe a way to switch it off in KDE4.

Regards,
Stephan