[SunRay-Users] Crash event help requested

ottomeister ottomeister at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:33:42 EEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Elliott Peeler
<elliott.peeler at us.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Thanks Otto.  I noticed the error entries and went looking for the files
> before I did the cold restart. The odd thing is, /tmp/SUNWut was still there
> and had a couple of files in it but the config directory was indeed gone. I
> can't imagine what process we would have running that would single out the
> config directory under the SUNWut directory in /tmp.

'config' would have been the oldest directory in /tmp/SUNWut, followed
closely by the 'dev' directory.  If some process was looking to purge "old
stuff" from /tmp then that might have made them look like suitable
victims.

You might check root's crontab, that's a likely location for this sort of
/tmp scrubber.

> Before I went looking
> for the files I did do a warm restart. Would that have recreated the
> /tmp/SUNWut directory but not the directories further down the tree?

A warm restart doesn't rebuild any of the /tmp/SUNWut directory
structure.  Warm restart leaves it as is, cold restart destroys and
rebuilds the whole thing.

I suppose you could use 'dtrace' to monitor any future attempt to
delete /tmp/SUNWut/config or its subdirectories.  It might be a
while before it happens again though, given that right now it's
all shiny and new.

OttoM.
__
ottomeister

Disclaimer: These are my opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.