[SunRay-Users] Competitive history of Sun Ray Graphic ?

Ivar Janmaat ijanmaat at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 30 00:17:46 EEST 2008

Hello Lars,

The best example is a real story:
http://uk.sun.com/servicessolutions/industries/education/bsf/pdf/ciao_project.pdf

The CIAO project started in 1997-1998 with implementing Sun Rays at
schools in Amsterdam.
The CIAO project ended in 2004 but the Sun rays are still running on the
schools.
The Sun Rays survived everything: political issues within the project,
city council funding problems, etc.
Now, 10 years later the Sun Rays are still fully functional in the schools.
They could tell you a story about open source fvwm desktops running on
Solaris, Citrix, Staroffice, Windows server 2000, Openoffice, Win 98 on
Win4lin, icewm, Windows XP on Win4sol and whatever desktop technology
they have showed their users, while running a couple of hundred KByte of
firmware from SRSS 1.0 up to SRSS 4.0.
Instead of buying new computers every 3 years these schools have added
Sun Rays every 3 years.
So after 10 years schools have now 1 Sun Ray for every 2.5 pupils.
I don't know other schools with this computer to student ratio.
Even within the school budgets it is possible to have a professionally
managed desktop.
So I guess it would be wise, not only for the money but also for the
environment, if more people took notice of this great product.

Kind regards,

Ivar