[SunRay-Users] Kiosk script arguments with values containing space characters

P.S.M. Swamiji Psm.Swamiji at Sun.COM
Fri Apr 25 14:44:47 EEST 2008

Peter K Anderson wrote:

>Greetings All :)
>
>On a fully patched Solaris 10 U5 (sparc) system with SRSS 4.0 (+patch
>127553-02) we've been having a bit of 'fun' trying to set up a kiosk
>session script where some command line arguments need to have values
>containing space characters.
>
>Since our 'real' script wasn't working quite as expected we set up a
>simple test script "/etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/testarg/testarg" like so:
>
>        #!/usr/bin/ksh
>
>        OUTFILE=/tmp/testarg.debug
>        echo "\nCommandArgs: $@" >> ${OUTFILE}
>
>        while getopts o: optname ; do
>                case ${optname} in
>                        o) OPTo="${OPTARG}"
>                        ;;
>                esac
>        done
>        echo "OPTo=[$OPTo]" >> ${OUTFILE}
>        exit 0
>
>Now, if we run the script interactively as per these two examples:
>
>        /etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/testarg/testarg -o 'Spaced Out'
>        /etc/opt/SUNWkio/sessions/testarg/testarg -o "Spaced Out"
>
>...we get this output in our OUTFILE:
>
>        CommandArgs: -o Spaced Out
>        OPTo=[Spaced Out]
>
>However, when the same script is executed (via the kiosk session
>environment) using the same command line arguments we get varying and
>unexpected output where
>
>        -o 'Spaced Out'
>
>...produces this output:
>
>        CommandArgs: -o 'Spaced Out'
>        OPTo=['Spaced]
>
>...and
>
>        -o "Spaced Out"
>
>...produces this output:
>
>        CommandArgs:
>        OPTo=[]
>
>...leading us to suspect the kiosk environment is somewhat
>'different'???
>
>So, am open to any suggestions re what to try next?

You possible may be hitting CR#6617526.

>Placing the options in a configuration file is one possible solution but
>isn't desirable with multiple SRS ...and the web interface is obviously
>the best place for this.  Also, we just don't have a choice with some of
>the argument values having space characters.
>
>Does anyone  know if the forthcoming kiosk patch might prove beneficial
>in this case?

If you are hitting CR#6617526, then yes the forthcoming kiosk patch
fixes that.

[6617526 Cannot specify kiosk session or application arguments that
contain whitespace.]

Thanks
P.S.M.Swamiji

Note:These are my personal opinions, nothing to do with my employer