[SunRay-Users] Two-channel audio recording problems

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Thu Apr 10 14:31:07 EEST 2008

We are facing problems with two-channel audio recording:

audiorecord -c 1 foo.wav

...works great, but:

audiorecord -c 2 foo.wav

...gives basically just noise. (The noise is reduced when you talk in the
microphone, though.) This problem has been experienced on a Solaris 10 x86
machine, with all updates installed, using two different DTUs (generation
1 and 2). On another system, based on the SPARC platform, we don't see
this problem. I guess the problem might be that the DTUs does not support
two channels, but: According to the utaudio man page, two channels should
be simulated:

"Some input devices do not support 2-channel capture, but two channels
will be reproduced by duplication in the case where two channels are
requested and the device supports only one."

At this point, I think it looks like utaudio does not handle two channel
simulation on the x86 platform properly.

I've found this posting as well:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.solaris.sunray/2288/. It doesn't mention
if the Solaris 10 host is SPARC or x86, but the problem description seems
to match we are are seeing.

Can perhaps someone out there try "audiorecord -c 2 foo.wav" on x86 and
report the result?

Best regards,
---
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer