[SunRay-Users] SRSS on Solaris x86 (moved from Linux)

Quayle, Bill Bill.Quayle at cmegroup.com
Mon Apr 7 09:20:17 EEST 2008

I'll second that motion.

I've deployed and have been running Blastwave KDE on Sun Ray on Solaris 10/SPARC.  While Blastwave is a great package deployment tool, it sure is frustrating to have the packages lag so far behind other platforms.

We've found KDE to be much faster, responsive, and configurable than Gnome.  A large part of our Sun Ray deployment is to a group of users with desktops controlled using the KDE kiosk utilities.  We limit their ability to modify menus, desktop wallpaper, transparency, etc... to improve the responsiveness of the desktop, and it has worked great.

SunView was fast and lightweight. (It had to be on that 16MHz 68020 hardware:-)
OpenWindows was slower, with more overhead. (Welcome to the world of X.)
CDE was slower yet.  Let's not talk about the bloat here...
GNOME takes slow and bloated to a new level.  It's the Win XP of the UNIX/Linux world.
KDE is lean, configurable, and open.

We compared GNOME/JDS to KDE on the Sun Ray, and KDE was clearly the right way to go.

I'll match your .02 euro with a buck and a half (or whatever the exchange rate is today...)

-Bill