[SunRay-Users] SRSS on Solaris x86 (moved from Linux)

Jakob Oestergaard jakob at unthought.net
Mon Apr 7 11:59:02 EEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 09:29:57AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Meik Hellmund wrote:
> > Now I have a Gnome which looks much better than JDS or blastwave's gnome.
> > Does anyone know where to get a recent KDE-3 (i.e., 3.5.7 .. 3.5.9)
> > for Solaris/x86?
>
> Have you tried http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/kde/ or
> http://solaris.kde.org/ ?

There are, to the best of my knowledge, no real packages for a recent KDE for
Solaris.

There are absolutely *ancient* packages (KDE 3.4.3 compiled without
anti-aliased font support to add insult to injury), and there is "talk" about
up-to-date packages on Blastwave and what not - but there are, to the limit of
my googling abilities, no actual packages out there.

Some OpenSolaris folks told me that I should run my SRSS on OpenSolaris to get
KDE - but when asked "does OpenSolaris have recent KDE packages" the answer
was, yet again, no.  Sigh...

As a long time KDE user (meaning, I've gotten used to the pretty and responsive
consistent-looking fully featured desktop environment that I cannot get in
Windows or GNOME), I'm really left wondering;  how can Sun ship SunRay server
software (software that drives *desktops*) without the K *desktop* environment?

I had to spend a weekend compiling before my desktops had a (proper) desktop
environment - because I was on the recommended OS (Solaris 10).  That's ironic.

Oh well, that's my 0.02 Euro on the issue.

I'd like to provide KDE packages, but I won't have time to package it the next
few weeks at least. And, that said, I really feel that someone other than me
should be doing it - the OS provider for example - hint hint  ;)

--

 / jakob