[SunRay-Users] Re: SR170 link flaps when connected to Cat4507 10/100/1000 POE

Mohamed Ali alisampras at esuria.com.bn
Thu Apr 3 17:48:41 EEST 2008

Hi Otto and experts,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your points.

If the link stays up at 10Mbps but is unreliable at 100Mbps then I'd
have to suspect the cabling.
--> Yes, link is okay at 10Mbps( no flapping ) but its lagging. Once
switch port to Auto-Neg which in SR is 100Mbps, then link start flapping.

What happens if you put a different Sun Ray in place of the 170,
connecting to the same cable and switch port that the 170 is having
trouble with?
--> We did change a new SR170 client in place of old but the link still
flapping.

How does the 170 do when it uses the cable that one of the successful
Sun Rays is using?
--> The link still flaps.

If the problem stays with the 170 then it might be bad, or perhaps its
power supply is bad.  Swap the power supply and see what happens.
--> FYI, all the SR170s were running normal/okay without link flaps for
a few months. Until one day, there was power trip in the data center.
Since then till now, the SR170s links flaps.

Move the cable at the switch end to a known-good port and see what happens.
--> We did move but same result.

If the link still fails then you have bad cabling.
--> I can say that the cabling is good cause we did connect the SR170
directly to Cat4507 switch 10/100/1000 POE and link flaps.

Furthermore, we have tested with another/loaned Cat4507 switch and
connected all SR170s to 10/100/1000 POE and its run normal/okay for at
least 3-4 weeks. We tested for only 3-4 weeks.

After the test 3-4 weeks on loan Cat4507 switch, we decided to replace
customer's Cat4507 chassis and 2x 10/100/1000 POE blade. After change we
hits with the same problem. The other customer's component( 1x
10/100/1000 and 1x supervisor ) haven't change.

Based on my answer above, i hope Otto and other experts can shed some
lights on us here.

Thanks.

# Yours Sincerely,
# Mohamed Ali Bin Abdullah.