[Solaris-Users] I would like to setup a DNS server on Solaris 10 for Name Resolution and Caching.

Andreas Höschler ahoesch at smartsoft.de
Mon Sep 3 14:31:54 EEST 2007

> I would like to setup a DNS server for name resolution and caching.I
> would like to do this on Solaris 10 so that this DNS server can handle
> both naming and caching.
> Please i would like to know the necessary steps on how to do this so i
> can use the same in a production environment.

Here is a subsection of our cookbook:

We create the usual files in /var/named and the config file
/etc/named.conf. The service is enabled and started as follows.

	svcadm disable dns/server
	svcadm enable dns/server
	svcadm restart svc:/network/dns/server:default
	tail -f /var/svc/log/network-dns-server\:default.log
	svcs -l dns/server
	tail -f /var/adm/messages

	svcadm -v enable -s bind
	svcs -vx bind
	svcs -x svc:/network/dns/server or svcprop svc:/network/dns/server

	cat  /var/named/smartsoft.internal.db

$TTL 7200
@       IN      SOA     merkur.smartsoft.internal.
root.smartsoft.internal. (
                         2004070819      ; serial
                         8H           ; refresh
                         2H            ; retry
                         1W         ; expiry
                         40000          ; weekly expiration

                 IN      NS      ns

merkur  IN      A
venus   IN      A
earth   IN      A

	cat  /etc/named.conf

options {
         directory "/var/named";
         pid-file "named.pid";
         allow-transfer {;;;;;;;;};

zone "." in {
         type hint;
         file "named.ca";

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
         type master;
         file "named.local";
         notify no;

zone "smartsoft.internal"
         type master;
         file "smartsoft.internal.db";
         notify yes;

Add as many zones like smartsoft.internal as you want to named.conf and
provide the corresponding zone file in /var/named.

Hope this helps!

   Andreas Höschler