[Solaris-Users] st.conf entry question

Ekstrom, Jeffery jekstrom at sanz.com
Thu Oct 13 15:47:19 EET DST 2005

thank you for the response

I just applied the latest st patch from sun last week, so I have coverage up to Gen 3
but I still see error messages

these are the error messages I am seeing

10/12/05 21:02:27 nsrd: media notice: Volume "000922" on device "rd=pcf-lgtosnux
:/dev/rmt/9cbn": Block size is 32768 bytes not 65536 bytes. Verify the device co
nfiguration. Tape positioning by record is disabled. This is from the networker daemon log, the message is also seen in /var/adm/messages.

Oct  9 20:12:07 pcf-lgtoux scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]        Requested Block:
 0                         Error Block: 0
Oct  9 20:12:07 pcf-lgtoux scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]        Vendor: IBM
                           Serial Number:
Oct  9 20:12:07 pcf-lgtoux scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]        Sense Key: Unit
Attention
Oct  9 20:12:07 pcf-lgtoux scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]        ASC: 0x29 (power
 on, reset, or bus reset occurred), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x30 This is from /var/adm/messages

Oct 12 20:16:01 pcf-lgtoux scsi: [ID 107833 kern.warning] WARNING: /pci at 8,600000
/pci at 2/fibre-channel at 5/st at b,0 (st114):
Oct 12 20:16:01 pcf-lgtoux      Error for Command: space                   Error
 Level: Fatal.
Oct 12 20:16:01 pcf-lgtoux scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]        Requested Block:
 1                         Error Block: 1
Oct 12 20:16:01 pcf-lgtoux scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]        Vendor: IBM
                           Serial Number:
Oct 12 20:16:01 pcf-lgtoux scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]        Sense Key: Media
 Error
Oct 12 20:16:01 pcf-lgtoux scsi: [ID 107833 kern.notice]        ASC: 0x14 (recor
ded entity not found), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0x36
Oct 12 20:16:01 pcf-lgtoux root: [ID 702911 daemon.notice] NetWorker media: (war
ning) /dev/rmt/9cbn moving: fsf 34: I/O error  This is from /var/adm/messages

The behavior I've noticed is that Legato sees an unexpected block size and disables positioning by record, which causes it not to be able to read to an EOF and append to a volume. Or at least that's what the support guy from storage tek told me. Networker automatically sets LTO2 drives to 64KB blocks, but it appears as though the OS is writing 32K blocks, and I don't know how to adjust this or perhaps I don't fully understand how the relationship between the OS, the tape drive, and the backup software functions. Here is what I received from sun/storagetek about this:

"I suggest you comment out the device-specific entries in your st.conf and make sure you have the latest st patch. These drives are supported natively and Sun's recommendation is do allow that native support. I'm seeing a lot of I/O errors on fsf operations on just about all of your drives, this could be caused by several things, including media, st.conf settings, Networker settings and even dirty drives.

We need to get the cleaning tapes into the SL8500 and get ACSLS set up to handle the cleaning.

Just in case, here's how to determine what level your st patch is at and the latest levels.

The command to get the info is below:

       showrev -p | grep XXXXXX
       (Note: XXXXXX is the 6-digit patch number that is being
       searched for)
       The patch number will depend on what level Solaris is :
       *       Solaris 2.6 105847
       *       Solaris 7 107460
       *       Solaris 8 108725
       *       Solaris 9 113324

I think that the fsf errors after the following occurs:

Volume "000386" on device "/dev/rmt/4cbn": Block size is 32768 bytes not 65536 bytes. Verify the device configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled.

I've seen this caused in Netbackup by incorrect st.conf parameters, same block sizes and very similar message. I'm sure the same thing would have similar results in Networker. Once tape positioning by record is disabled fsf will likely not work, as that is what fsf does....skip forward by the number of records(files). I'm seeing this on most if not all drives."

Jeff Ekstrom
Solutions Engineer
SANZ, Inc.
Vienna, VA